httpd-users mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: Virtual Hosting with Wildcards
Date Thu, 01 Aug 2002 13:41:48 GMT
On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, Peter Callaghan wrote:

> Hello, I am running Apache 1.3.26 on Slackware 8.0.  We are a hosting
> company that currently has around 50 sites.  As one of the services, we
> offer our client access to webmail for each domain, normally
> "webmail.theirdomain.com".  The problem that I am having is that I want to
> be able to set up an address for the webmail without having to include each
> domain in the VirtualHost section as a ServerAlias.
>
> I have attempted to set the default location to be the webmail, so that any
> unresolved vhost will hit that.  Unfortunately, this works for the server
> name and the IP address but not for unresolved names.
>
> I am aware that you are able to user wildcards as in *.yourdomain.com but I
> would like to be able to do something like webmail.* so that
> webmail.anything would be resolved to the proper page.
>
> Can anyone make a suggestion as to how I might get this working?

You might want to look at mod_vhost_alias as a possible solution.
Failing that, this looks like a job for mod_rewrite. There is an example
of using mod_rewrite for vhost stuff, in the vhost docs
(http://httpd.apache.org/docs/vhosts/) which does something similar.

--
Rich Bowen - rbowen@apache.org
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/registry/3GDC3KN82W4AO