httpd-users mailing list archives

From Michael <mich...@asstr.org>
Subject Re: Apache 2.x, .gz/.bz2 file, Bug 2820, oh boy
Date Sun, 18 Aug 2002 19:26:48 GMT
	Hmm... so many questions :)

On Sun, 18 Aug 2002, Phil Edwards wrote:

> I've been learning Apache 2 from scratch, having never set it up before.
> So far everything has been working wonderfully.
>
> It's serving some gzip'd and bzip2'd files, and I'm told Mozilla and
> other browsers can uncompress/display these on the fly.  Apache 2.0.39
> came with a "mod_deflate" file, but from what I've read that seems to be
> something unrelated.  (I could easily be wrong.)

	The browsers can't actually ahndle bz2 files, or at least according
to spec they don't :) The spec. allows for gzip and compress format
compression. In general there's no point in using compress, since gzip is
much better and I don't know of any browser that supports one and not
the other.

	mod_deflate is actually exactly what you're looking for, also :)

> Looking through the bugzilla database at nagoya.apache.org, I found bug
> 2820, which ended about five months ago with, "this can be done now."  I
> think it's talking about the same thing I am, but I haven't the foggiest
> idea how to do it.
>
> Searching the archives of this list turned up a few mentions of "mod_gzip"
> but the Apache 2 manual doesn't mention that.  Is it an Apache 1 thing?

	mod_gzip is currently only an apache 1 thing. I'm not sure if
the people who made it plan to port it to apache 2.0 or not, since
mod_deflate provides the same functionality.

> The problem seems to be that Apache needs to tell the browser, "hey,
> this isn't text/html or text/plain that I'm sending to you, do the right
> thing," and right now I haven't done that.  At least, Mozilla thinks that
> the .gz/.bz2 files are text.

	Well, there's good news here :) The first piece of good news is
that you don't have to pre-gzip the files. mod_deflate can do
that for you on the fly. The second piece of good news is that,
as I understand it (although I've never done it) you can configure
apache's content negotiation features to serve up pre-gzipped
files if processor power is more dear to you than disk space.

	The last question that you didn't ask but probably would have :)
is how to test that mod_deflate magically "works" after you configure it.
For that, you want to telnet to your server on port 80, and send the
following request:

GET / HTTP/1.1
Host: www.yourhostnamehere.com

	You should get back your main page. Then do this request:

GET / HTTP/1.1
Host: www.yourhostnamehere.com
Accept-Encoding: gzip

	And you should get back the headers as plaintext, and everything
following should be unreadable binary :)