httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jim.Wa...@sce.com
Subject [users@httpd] Newbee question
Date Wed, 28 Aug 2002 19:10:53 GMT
I will be loading Apache onto one of the computers at my house shortly.
This will be a VERY low usage site, that will have only a couple things on
it.  It's not ever expected to be my main site, but rather I want to be
able to use it for stuff I can't conveniently run off my normal
Earthlink.net site.  I will be doing this on a Windows 2000Pro computer.
Just to make sure I have things working, I will not have port 80 traffic
allowed through my firewall until I'm reasonably certain that it's at least
working.  My question is this.  Before turning this up is there any
security concerns that I need to deal with?  I'm referring to (as an
example) the well known IIS Nimda virus problem that you must install the
patch for before turning up IIS.  Is there any major issues I need to deal
with before I turn up Apache?

Hardware configuration is:
ADSL to Earthlink with dynamic IP,
Linksys router,