httpd-users mailing list archives

From Bill.Steph...@sungardrs.com
Subject CGI program question
Date Wed, 07 Aug 2002 14:45:19 GMT
Hi ...

I'm new to the list, please forgive me if this question has been answered
before.  I did not see it in any of the FAQs I looked at ...

I'm running httpd 1.3.20 on a SuSE 7.3 installation.  When I directly
request a page from the server, it is shown correctly with the background
image assigned to the page via "<body background="s360.jpg">.  When I cause
a CGI program to serve that same page, the page is displayed without the
background.  I thought I perhaps had a programming error, since I wrote my
CGI program in C, but I found I could reproduce the problem with the
following CGI script:

#!/bin/bash
# Serve a page via program
#
   echo 'Content-type: text/html'
   echo
   echo
   cat ../htdocs/osa1.html

If I bring up page osa1.html from my browser, the page is served and I see
the background.  If I push a button on a page that runs the above program,
the same page is served, but without the background.  I tried linking
"s360.jpg" from the htdocs directory to the cgi-bin directory but this did
not resolve the problem.  Can anyone explain this behavior to me?

Realizing that 1.3.20 is kind of old, I had thought to upgrade to Apache
2.0.39.  But, the latest available rpm is only for 2.0.35, and running
package-manager in test mode popped up about a dozen prereqs for packages
which were not initially on my SuSE 7.3 installation.  So, before I blow
away a working system and make a pile of work for myself, I thought I would
just ask.

Regards,
Bill Stephens
Sungard Availability Services
Phone: (215) 351-1099  Fax: (215) 451-4436