httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jim.Wa...@sce.com
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Newbee question
Date Thu, 29 Aug 2002 15:17:40 GMT
deal with prior to turning up an Apache server, J. Greenlees answered:
> the basics fact that makes apache a better server orver iis is that it
doesn't have the security issues.

> check the list archives, there is a code snippet that will tell you how
to block the error log from recording searches by the nimba and code red
viruses. apache won't allow anything to get outside of the web directories
so they won't find the files they are looking for.

Thanks for that.  That's pretty much what I thought, but I wanted to ask.
In an earlier life I got burned with IIS so I'm a bit touchy about that.
Got Apache loaded and turned up with no trouble at all.  Next step is to
get a Dynamic DNS client loaded and move my domain so it actually gets to
the house without having to know the IP address (which can change once in a
while)...

Thanks for the info...

Jim Walls - K6CCC
k6ccc@amsat.org