httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Cartoon Factory" <gall...@cartoon-factory.com>
Subject Server going Wild
Date Fri, 02 Aug 2002 17:33:12 GMT
Hi:

I am running Apache 1.3.26 on FreeBSD 4.6

I have an occasional problem with processes running wild... it just starts
snowballing, gobbling up memory are resources, and slowing things way down.

I am trying to track down the cause of this, but thus far, I have had no
luck. I have added PID to the access logs, and when this runs wild, I search
for that PID, but I have not yet been able to catch what is causing this.

So, in the meantime, I want to see if I can configure Apache to close down
the wild processes. I have noticed that when it get's going, the Priority
shoots way up to 60+. Is there a way (or, better, WHAT is the way) I can
have apache shut down a process that has a priority over 60? Is this wise?

I have tried RLimitMEM (RLimitMEM 40000 50000), but that does not allow some
cgi scripts to run... should I use that instead, and set the limits higher
(and how high?).

Any other suggestions so I do not have to stay glued to TOP?

I am a real newbie, (sorry) so please be a bit verbose in your response, so
I can understand!

Thank You!