httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Cartoon Factory" <gall...@cartoon-factory.com>
Subject RE: Tracking Down an Error
Date Mon, 05 Aug 2002 17:26:44 GMT
I FOUND THE PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!

First- how I found it! I enables server-status in httpd.conf. With extended
status on, I can get a list of all processes running, keyed to PID. So, when
(in Top) I see the process running wild, I note the PID, and load
server-status and find the matching PID. server-status shows what EXACT call
was made. It even returns all the parameters of the call...

So, if you have something running wild, and you don't know what, enable
server-status, and you will find it!

That is the important part. For anyone who cares WHAT was going wrong, well,
I wrote a bad reweriterule. I wanted the server to return a favicon from any
page that someone might save as a favorite (not always from the main page.)
As I have 100,000 pages, I did NOT want to put favicon.ico in all 1000,000
directories, so I wrote a rewrite rule to rewrite to the one copy of
favicon.ico on my server. I wrote this:

RewriteRule .*favicon.ico http://www.bcdb.com/favicon.ico [PT,NS]

Unfortunately, that causes a loop... and THAT was my runaway process!

Thanks to all who offered help!!!!

Thank You!

Dave Koch
Gallery Director