httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Cartoon Factory" <gall...@cartoon-factory.com>
Subject RE: Tracking Down an Error
Date Mon, 05 Aug 2002 16:14:25 GMT
Owen:

Thank you! I discovered that it WAS working, it just needed an error BEFORE
it would write a file. Your standard error-log will write a 0 byte file on
startup, and I expected the same for the cgi-error-log. Turns out it does
NOT write a file until it processes an error, and THEN will write the file.
So it was working!

Thank You!
-------------------

Dave Koch

-----Original Message-----
From: Boyle Owen [mailto:Owen.Boyle@swx.com]
Sent: Monday, August 05, 2002 1:47 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: RE: Tracking Down an Error

>From: Cartoon Factory [mailto:gallery@cartoon-factory.com]
>
>I enabled this directive like this in httpd.conf:
>
>ErrorLog /home/l/logs/server-error_log
>LogLevel alert
>ScriptLog /home/l/logs/cgi_error
>
>which seems to be how to call it (and I thought this would be
>a good place
>to put it.) I restarted the server, but no file "cgi_error"
>was created in
>/home/l/logs (note, "/home/l/logs/server-error_log" is created!)

ScriptLogging is handled by the apache server which invokes the CGI program.
This means that the logfile is has to be writeable by the apache user. This
is a little different from the othe apache logs which are usually owned by
root.

What I do is create the file first, then make it owned by apache, e.g.

# touch cgi_error
# chown apache cgi_error

Then you should see some output in it...

Rgds,

Owen Boyle