httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Dan Stephens" <DanielBSteph...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: configuration question
Date Tue, 20 Aug 2002 15:52:17 GMT
    Thank you for responding, sorry about not being clearing enough, let me try again. Yes,
I have a file html.index in the directory /var/www/html. Yes, /var/www/ is the documentroot.
I have made sure that it is configured as such in the httpd.conf fileSo I do have my website
set up. I also do have a fully qualified domain name. When I try to go to the site on my browser
all I get back is connection failed: (111) connection refused. I do know that the DNS and
what not are all set up correctly, because the mail server tthat I am also sending through
the same IP is getting routed to the server without flaw, so I do know that the problem is
in the apache configuration.  Also when i run ps -ef | grep httpd I get a one line responce,
which I'm assuming means that it's running.
    Thank you again for your help, this is really helpful,
  -Dan
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Boyle Owen
  To: users@httpd.apache.org
  Sent: Tuesday, August 20, 2002 10:12 AM
  Subject: RE: configuration question

  I am a bit confused by the terminology in your post: Do you mean that you have a DIRECTORY
called /var/www/html and that this is DocumentRoot? If so, then the FILE index.html in that
directory will be served when you do http://your-server/ where "your-server" is the fully-qualified
domain name of your webserver.

  Do you have a ServerName directive which points to your FQDN? Do you have Listen directive
(you don't need one, the default is to listen to all interfaces)?

  Note that to test a webserver, you telnet TO it on port 80, not OUT, as you state... (maybe
that's what you meant).

  What actually happens in the browser? What is the message?
  What do you see in the server access and error logs?

  rgds,

  Owen Boyle