httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Soheil Shaghaghi" <sohe...@jhanna.com>
Subject RE: SERVER_SOFTWARE
Date Thu, 08 Aug 2002 00:25:25 GMT
Thanks so much Chris for your reply, but I have installed all the addons,
and they all do what they are supposed to. The problem is I can't see them
in the SERVER_SOFTWARE environment!

Soheil

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Taylor [mailto:chris@phi-web.co.uk]
Sent: Wednesday, August 07, 2002 5:13 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: SERVER_SOFTWARE

I'm no expert but:

The FreeBSD machine has more compiled addons, like mod_fastcgi etc. All of
these have to be installed in addition to Apache, as does PHP, which is
present on both. When they are installed they add their little bit to the
server signature (ie: SERVER_SOFTWARE) so people know about them.

If you want these on your Linux machine, you'll have to download and compile
them into Apache, search google for relevant links etc.

httpd -l gives you the list of compiled Apache modules, all of these should
show up there.

This is NOT a problem with Apache, it's just a matter of adding additional
functionality, ie: OpenSSL/0.9.6d gives you the ability to serve SSL-secured
sites, mod_gzip compresses the output for greater speed etc etc.

I'm not quite sure what it is you want to know, either way, the current
situation is fairly normal. Please note that core modules to Apache (like
mod_autoindex for instance) do NOT show up in SERVER_SOFTWARE, they're not
addons per se, but things like PHP are.

Apologies if this explanation is poor, but it's late :)

Chris Taylor - chris@phi-web.co.uk - The guy with the PS2 Webserver :)