httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Pritpal Dhaliwal" <pdhali...@tycoint.com>
Subject RE: Error msg: "no listening sockets available, shutting down"
Date Fri, 16 Aug 2002 17:49:18 GMT

do this
http://localhost:80/

if something (good, as in a webpage) comes up then you have something running

so  disable whatver is running on port 80,  and then try to restart.

you could also try

netstat -an to see if there is something LISTENING on port 80.

if that doesn't work, try to change the apache port to 8080.

if that still doesn't work, download resin from www.caucho.com and try to run it.  It runs
on port 80 by default, and it will run as a service also, plus u can use jsp. But this is
an overkill.

Pritpal Dhaliwal
www.desiest.com

-----Original Message-----
From: James Hurst [mailto:jhurst@designforge.com]
Sent: Friday, August 16, 2002 9:56 AM
To: Apache users group
Subject: Error msg: "no listening sockets available, shutting down"

I downloaded the 2.0.40 Win32 binary and installed it on my Win2K box,
for testing. When I try to run it from a console window (DOS box), it
yields:

"no listening sockets available, shutting down"

Nothing in the error log.  What can cause this??

When I installed Apache I used these settings:

DomainName = testdomain.com
ServerName = www.testdomain.com
ServerPort = 80
ServerRoot = C:/Apache

The httpd.conf file has simply...

ServerRoot "C:/Apache"
ServerName www.testdomain.com:80
ServerAdmin admin@designforge.com
UseCanonicalName off
DocumentRoot "C:/Apache/htdocs"
ErrorLog logs/error.log

Yes, I am a newbie.
During the installation and after, I'm logged onto Windows as a user
with administrator privileges. I did go into Windows "Services"
control panel, where I saw an entry for Apache2 that is set to start
automatically. I stopped the service, and tried to run "apache" again
from the console window. Same result.
I don't see that IIS or PWS are running.

Any ideas?   Your help is greatly appreciated, thanx.

James Hurst, jhurst@designforge.com