httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Skladovs, Victor" <Skla...@his.de>
Subject AW: [users@httpd] Apache Basic Authorization and Java
Date Thu, 29 Aug 2002 10:31:35 GMT
Thanks for mail!

Is it possible to make the following: to read the user and the password
from the Http in Client and to forward this information further before
opening a connection to servlet?
How can I access the Apache Http from a client? Is it still "alive"?

Thanks,
Viktor
-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Boyle Owen [mailto:Owen.Boyle@swx.com]
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 29. August 2002 12:18
An: users@httpd.apache.org
Betreff: RE: [users@httpd] Apache Basic Authorization and Java

To see why this is happening, you need to understand how authentication
works. To access the protected directory, all requests need to provide
the Authorization header containing the username and password. This
holds whether the request is from a browser or a java client.
(see
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-httpd-users&m=103044845517207&w=2
)

Presumably your java client is making a request from the server - so it
has to authenticate itself. You are lucky that the VM class which
handles the socket recognises the 401 response and prompts you - I would
have expected just an exception...

To allow the java client to authenticate itself without prompting, you
could build-in the Authorization header in the jave client (you need to
add the line below to the request header):

Authorization: BASIC <base64-encoded user/pass here>

Rgds,

Owen Boyle