httpd-users mailing list archives

From Bob Dowling <r...@cam.ac.uk>
Subject Re: UserDir without the tilde
Date Fri, 23 Aug 2002 13:59:32 GMT
> But the first thing you need to consider is: do you need to also serve
> content from the document root (outside of the home directories)?  If
> so, how are you going to differentiate between a request for the
> document root and a request for the home directories if you don't use
> the ~ or any other string?

We hope to use virtual hosting to allocate a server (e.g. users.domain)
that would server users' home pages and nothing else.  Hence the desire
to do without a /users/ or ~ prefix or anything like that.

At the moment we have a proxy service rewriting in both directions so
that requests to the service get rewritten into "tilde form" and any
redirections sent back get rewritten into "tildeless form".  Messy, but
it works.