httpd-users mailing list archives

From John K. Sterling <j...@sterls.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache for user account
Date Fri, 30 Aug 2002 01:35:38 GMT
On Thursday, August 29, 2002, at 07:53 PM, Chris Taylor wrote:

> Well, if it's an "intranet" type thing.......hmmm.
>
> I would consider using one Apache thing with an Alias for everyone's
> webroot. This way you run one Apache and get in via:
>
> http://www.example.com/jane/ etc. Obviously far easier to update
> Apache etc. There are (many) other solutions. If you have a lot of
> users (>50 or so?) then writing an Alias for each one would be
> undesirable, but I'm sure someone here could suggest something
> similar.

hmm, i don't know if that is good advice in this situation.  If you
want each user to truly have their own webserver that they can stop and
start, then the different port solution is probably best.  This would
usually apply to users that are developers or have specific config
information that they would want to control.  If, however, these users
are just displaying static content or cgis (and don't need special
configuration for their server) then mod_userdir would probably help
you out (and no aliasing needed).

sterling