httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jose Correia (J)" <Corr...@telkom.co.za>
Subject RE: mod-ssl and authz modules
Date Mon, 26 Aug 2002 14:17:07 GMT
Hi Dirk (and others)

I did both those two things i.e

1. Included SSLEngine on
2. Changed _default_ to descartes.telkom.co.za

Now apache won't start... I'm getting in errors.log the following:

"[Mon Aug 26 16:10:39 2002] [error] mod_ssl: Init: Server
descartes.telkom.co.za:443 should be SSL-aware but has no certificate
configured [Hint: SSLCertificateFile]"

Does SSL always require a certificate...? I just want basic
authentication but no certificate authentication... maybe I'm missing
the point and one does need at least some kind of fake certificate to
bypass this??

Thanks in advance
Jose

-----Original Message-----
From: Dirk-Willem van Gulik [mailto:dirkx@webweaving.org]
Sent: 26 August 2002 16:03
To: Jose Correia (J)
Cc: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: RE: mod-ssl and authz modules

On Mon, 26 Aug 2002, Jose Correia (J) wrote:

> [26/Aug/2002 13:25:06 13435] [warn]  Init:
> (descartes.telkom.co.za:443) You configured HTTP(80) on the standard
> 	HTTPS(443) port!

This is a strong hint as to your problem. If you look at your Vhost
section for that host/port:

> <IfDefine SSL>
> <VirtualHost _default_:443>

Obviously SSL is strictly IP based - so you could replace _default_ by
the
IP address or hostname; as it will only apply to that host

>   ServerName descartes.telkom.co.za
>   ServerAdmin rhoder1@telkom.co.za
> </VirtualHost>

But the main thing; there no

	SSLEngine On

in the above block. Hence the warning in your error log. Add that and
you
should get one step closer.

Dw.
--
Dirk-Willem van Gulik, WebWeaving Internet Engineering and Consulting.