httpd-users mailing list archives

From George Schlossnagle <geo...@omniti.com>
Subject Re: quick and dirty linix/SSL
Date Mon, 19 Aug 2002 01:11:31 GMT
While there is something to be said for a quick install, choosing an OS
for a webserver based on install time alone seems like a poor
methodology to me.  Not that you made a bad choice (I use freebsd
frequently and like it), but their are advantages and disadvantages to
every OS, and ease-of-install is only one of them (others might include
standards compliance, advanced filesystem support, good asynchronous io
support, a stable JVM, support for third-party products you need/want to
use).

At any rate, congrats on your choice!

George

On Sunday, August 18, 2002, at 09:01 PM, bill wrote:

> Results:
>
> Don't have a cd burner so Red Hat is out
> Debian froze part way through the initial install and no one answered my
> question on the debian list
> FreeBSD booted quickly from a downloaded floppy image, scoped out my
> ancient hardware (including a nonstandard I/O address for the ancient
> nic)
> and downloaded what it needed from the net.
> Total install time: 90 min
> total of my time - 10 minutes.
>
> can't ask for better than that.

// George Schlossnagle
// Principal Consultant
// OmniTI, Inc          http://www.omniti.com
// (c) 240.460.5234   (e) george@omniti.com
// 1024D/1100A5A0  1370 F70A 9365 96C9 2F5E 56C2 B2B9 262F 1100 A5A0