httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Overcast, Isaac" <Overc...@evergreen.edu>
Subject [users@httpd] apache 2.0.40 thread issues
Date Fri, 30 Aug 2002 18:54:59 GMT
Hi all,

I'm having a problem and i don't know if it is me or if it is apache. I've
been searching around for info and i just haven't run in to anything yet, so
i thought you might be able to offer some insight. Here's a little
background:

Until recently i've been running 2.0.36. I know, i Know i should have
upgraded long ago, but i've got tons of responsibilities, and blah blah
blah. Anyway, so i was running insecure for a month or so. No big whoop
until two days ago. Apache began hanging. It seemed like threads spawned
would just stack up until they ran out of room and apache stopped responding
to requests. Well, I thought, but wasn't sure, this was related to the
security issue 2.0.39 was released to fix. So, I download 2.0.40, install
and run. Now it's exhibiting the same behavior as before. the error logs
show tons of requests for non-existent files, looks like a scripted attack.

My question is: is this something other people are experienceing with
2.0.40? What might be some of my next steps in investigating this problem?
And would it help to switch over to the apache 1.3.x version?

Thanks in advance
isaac overcast