httpd-users mailing list archives

From Robert <rob...@iremote.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Return Version
Date Thu, 29 Aug 2002 05:36:19 GMT
Sterling:

You can have Apache divulge a lot or a little information about itself
(in the HTTP headers, at least) using the ServerTokens directive...

  http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/core.html#servertokens

I know this was said earlier, but it seems odd to me that you'd want to
keep people from knowing this information.  On the surface it sounds
like a security measure, but in practice it doesn't really make your
system more secure.

Also, I don't think this is a very common security practice.  Check out
NetCraft.  It's rare to see a site that makes any system information secret.

  http://www.netcraft.com/

Just my $0.02.

  ~ Robert