httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject [users@httpd] Re: Apache 2.x and limiting request volume
Date Mon, 26 Aug 2002 19:08:43 GMT
Robert La Ferla wrote:
> Apache Gurus,
>
> What is the best way to limit abusive requests to an Apache 2.x server?
> For example, some jerk decides to run a script that accesses a CGI on
> your site 100 times every 5 seconds.  How can you configure Apache to
> limit or deny these abusive requests?  Are the RLimitCPU and related
> directives helpful here?  What about mod_throttle or the like?  If so,
> is there a 2.x version?

No, RLimitCPU will not help at all for this.

The best way to handle this is with operating system and firewalling
features.  Keep it out of the hair of the web server entirely.

Yes, mod_throttle is what many people use in 1.3.  I do not believe it
has a 2.0 equivalent yet.  Certainly there is some demand for that sort
of thing.

Finally, I know some people do dynamic parsing of the log files and
update httpd.conf (or, even better, their firewall rules) to block
abusive IPs.

Joshua.