httpd-users mailing list archives

From "J. Greenlees" <ja...@shaw.ca>
Subject Re: Can I be a Web Server? How to let users download?
Date Sat, 24 Aug 2002 20:21:25 GMT
david hawcroft wrote:

>I'm going well, thanks to help I've found here. Apache is working
>well and Active Perl is working with it. I can call c progs and perl
>scripts I've written from web pages I've created. Excellent.
>
>Next:
>
>1. mine i.  a standalone machine. When I connect to the internet I get
>an IP address don't I, from my ISP? Can I use that address and allow
>my Apache server to be accessible from the Web?

yes you can

>2. How do I write a script or a prog or what do I do to allow users
>to download files from my site (i.e., on my localsite site,
>standalone here, allow me to go through the motions).

you need to make sure your account with your isp allows you to have your
own server, which means you have a static ip, then you need to register
a domain name and get your isp's ( or local) name server to have your ip
and domain name linked, the go submit your domain ( site) to search engines.
you would have to have the server online all the time, and the site
scripted by this point.

check your isp's site for thier info about this. probably comercial
account section.