httpd-users mailing list archives

From "bill" <b...@TechServSys.com>
Subject slow serving of large graphics REPOST
Date Fri, 23 Aug 2002 21:32:39 GMT
Please pardon the repost, but I am in a small to modest panic because this
replacement server needs to be up and running by monday.  I am not looking
for a solution (ok, I am) but would sure like suggestions of where to look next.
It is not a slow cpu problem as the utilization is so low.

 I have more or less successfully built my first freeBSD system to be a
 webserver (using the default install) and configured Apache for virtual hosts
and all seems well, except:

 when it is serving a large (100k) graphic it is slower than mud going uphill.

 hardware:
 485-66, 32Mb ram
 The nic is an intel pro/10
 scsi disk subsystem with an adaptec 1542c (I think it is a c, not sure - but it
 ran a complex database application before it was retired for a faster machine)

 Top says:
    load averages 0.00 0.01 0.00
    top is using 0.93%
    sendmail is using 0.00
    httpd      is using 0.00

 watching top I see that httpd goes to RUN about once every 3 seconds.

 netstat shows a very large send q: 33580 until the browser apparently gives
 up.
 when I reload the page the q goes up again and it _finishes_ displaying the
 image.

 I could use some help in figuring out what is so slow.

 it serves lots of small images and the httpd pages quite
quickly, it seems only to be the large (>100k) images that slow down so
much.

If I try to see a page with 3 medium size graphics on it the client opens three
connections that I can see with netstat, the first completes quickly, the 2nd
slowly, and the third takes an eternity.
-bill