httpd-users mailing list archives

From BAO RuiXian <bao.ruix...@atbusiness.com>
Subject Re: Start laughing already - securing files with Apache and Windowsquestion
Date Fri, 23 Aug 2002 13:43:54 GMT
Boyle Owen wrote:

> What do you understand by "protected"?

Hmm, I understand that "protected" means "no in no right ticked":)

> Having a list of valid usernames is the best starting point for a cracker - he can then
fire off dictionary attacks until he finds another password. Note also that access a protected
directory via HTTP has none of the safety features that, say, a unix login shell has: if you
make a failed attempt you can retry immediately (no forced delay), you can make a million
attempts without any alerts to the real user or the sysadmin..

Aha, if there are more than one user in the password file, it will be a different story.

Thanks, Owen.

Bao
--
BAO RuiXian, PROGRAMMER, Project Consulting Team, Software Services Group
AtBusiness Communications Corporation, Kaapeliaukio 1, FIN-00180 Helsinki