httpd-users mailing list archives

From "bill" <b...@TechServSys.com>
Subject slow serving of large graphics
Date Fri, 23 Aug 2002 16:12:10 GMT

 I have more or less successfully built my first freeBSD system to be a
 webserver (using the default install) and configured Apache for virtual hosts
and all seems well, except:

 when it is serving a large (100k) graphic it is slower than mud going uphill.

 hardware:
 485-66, 32Mb ram
 The nic is an intel pro/10
 scsi disk subsystem with an adaptec 1542c (I think it is a c, not sure - but it
 ran a complex database application before it was retired for a faster machine)

 Top says:
    load averages 0.00 0.01 0.00
    top is using 0.93%
    sendmail is using 0.00
    httpd      is using 0.00

 watching top I see that httpd goes to RUN about once every 3 seconds.

 netstat shows a very large send q: 33580 until the browser apparently gives
 up.
 when I reload the page the q goes up again and it _finishes_ displaying the
 image.

 I could use some help in figuring out what is so slow.

 Also, may or may not be related: I have not configured Sendmail yet and it
 gets unhappy and panics every morning when it can't deliver something.

 it serves lots of small images and the httpd pages quite
quickly, it seems only to be the large (>100k) images that slow down so
much.

-bill