httpd-users mailing list archives

From BAO RuiXian <bao.ruix...@atbusiness.com>
Subject Re: Start laughing already - securing files with Apache and Windowsquestion
Date Fri, 23 Aug 2002 09:35:28 GMT
Why not, since the directory is protected? Or the protection level is not high enough?

Bao

"J. Greenlees" wrote:

> no, you don't want it in any directory that a browser will access.
> only ever put password files outside of web structure directories.
>
> BAO RuiXian wrote:
>
> >Boyle Owen wrote:
> >
> >>(4) You put the password file anywhere you like EXCEPT inside the docroot
> >>
> >>*** I think this might be what was confusing you. You can put the file anywhere
at all - there is no special place for it. However, you have made one big mistake which is
to put it under your docroot (D:/web). This won't stop it working but it is not very secure
since it means a browser can see it!  move it somewhere unbrowseable like D:/pwds.

> >Just for peculiarity, can we put the password file into the protected directory itself?
I think it should also be safe.

--
BAO RuiXian, PROGRAMMER, Project Consulting Team, Software Services Group
AtBusiness Communications Corporation, Kaapeliaukio 1, FIN-00180 Helsinki