httpd-users mailing list archives

From BAO RuiXian <bao.ruix...@atbusiness.com>
Subject Re: Start laughing already - securing files with Apache and Windows question
Date Fri, 23 Aug 2002 08:35:09 GMT
Boyle Owen wrote:

> (4) You put the password file anywhere you like EXCEPT inside the docroot
>
> *** I think this might be what was confusing you. You can put the file anywhere at all
- there is no special place for it. However, you have made one big mistake which is to put
it under your docroot (D:/web). This won't stop it working but it is not very secure since
it means a browser can see it!  move it somewhere unbrowseable like D:/pwds.

Just for peculiarity, can we put the password file into the protected directory itself? I
think it should also be safe.

Bao
--
BAO RuiXian, PROGRAMMER, Project Consulting Team, Software Services Group
AtBusiness Communications Corporation, Kaapeliaukio 1, FIN-00180 Helsinki