httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: Apache 1.3.26 DOS'ing itself still
Date Wed, 21 Aug 2002 19:20:05 GMT
Jacob Coby wrote:

> I almost wonder if i'm exhausting the physical memory, and its causing
> excessive swapping.  This server only has 256mb of ram.  With 35 instances
> of httpd running, I have 40mb free.  I'm guessing that an additonal 50 may
> take up more than that 40mb?

That's possible.  You should NEVER make your web server use swap space.
  MaxClients should be set low enough such that all serving happens from
main memory.

It sounds like your httpd processes are using quite a bit of memory.
You might want to cut down on unnecessary modules.

Also see:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/perf-tuning.html
for a few important tips.

Turning down KeepAliveTimeOut may help a little, but it is best not to
turn it off if you can avoid it.

Joshua.