httpd-users mailing list archives

From Rene Lanz <Rene.L...@telekurs.com>
Subject Thread (1) <<Signal Thread>> reports strange message
Date Wed, 21 Aug 2002 17:47:56 GMT
Hi
Apologies in advance if this is confusing now but I'm having real
trouble to
isolate this problem ...

The initially observed behaviour: running Apache 1.3.26 (on Solaris 7)
for some
unknown period of time, response delays suddenly increased from a few 10
msecs
up to more than 10 secs (returning very simple and short HTML pages).
After investigation, it became very clear that we had a server-side
problem
rather than a network problem.
Those simple HTML pages are returned from a Servlet running in Tomcat
(using
mod_jserv). In a background thread, the same Servlet accesses the XML-DB
Tamino
by Software AG (Version 3.1.2.1) via Apache usng standard http GET and
POST
requests. At startup, Apache loads a Tamino Module
(libexec/ApacheModuleIno.so)
in order to provide connectivity to Tamino.
Apache reads its default httpd.conf (besides some Tamino specific
extensions).
When connecting to Tamino via Apache, the Servlet acts as one client,
opens one
connection and then, uses that connection to submit loads of queries
(via Apache,
ApacheModuleIno.so to Tamino). Only when these queries are being
submitted and
only after waiting for some time (say 5 minutes, @ max 5 to 7 requests
per sec),
unexpected delays can are observed. Looking then at then number of httpd
children,
it is 150 which is equal to MaxClients.

There are neither errors nor Java stacktraces in Tomcat, the only
indication I can
get from log files that something is Not ok is
>> Thread (1) <<Signal Thread>>
>> Callstack: Stack Backtrace (C):
>> sh: /tmþÃýÌ: cannot create
found in Apaches error_log. Interesting enough: While the Servlet is
querying,
this entry is written every "now and then". After the Servlet has
finished
querying, it is written continuously thus thrashing the log.

Maybe I have several problems here. I changed several httpd.conf
parameters:
>> MaxKeepAliveRequests 0
>> KeepAliveTimeout 60
>> MaxClient 30 (of course now I get 32 httpd children only)
>> MaxRequestsPerChild 10000
and it seems(!) as though the response delays are now constantly few 10
msecs.

Problem solved??? I am not optimistic here, and I still have these
error_log
entries.
-Does anybody have ideas?
-Who might call a sh script that tries to create /tmþÃýÌ?
-/tmþÃýÌ surely is not what the sh script wanted to create. What might
the
 original intention have been?
 Note: the 3rd character after the '/' is Not a 'p'.
 Did somebody use a Windows path delimiter '\' here?

Thanks for helping!
Rene
rene.lanz@telekurs.com
rlz@tiscalinet.ch