httpd-users mailing list archives

From James Hurst <jhu...@designforge.com>
Subject Re: Error msg: "no listening sockets available, shutting down"
Date Tue, 20 Aug 2002 15:58:09 GMT
Thank you Pritpal for your several tips. Bringing up a browser and going to "http://localhost:80/"
yields "The page cannot be displayed". So I assume that means there's no local webserver running?
I did "netstat -an" at the DOS prompt, it lists several entries with various IP addresses:
assuming the number that is appended after an IP address with a colon is a port#, it would
appear nothing
is using port 80.
I then changed the Apache port to 8080 by putting "Listen 8080" into httpd.conf, and then
pointed a browser window to "http://localhost:8080/" and now the browser yields: "Not Found".

Q: Why does it not work at port 80? What's interfering with that?

Q: How do I set up a test domain?  I simply arbitrarily picked "testdomain", and put an entry
into httpd.conf with "ServerName www.testdomain.com:80", and the docs are in the default location
C:\Apache\htdocs. What else should one do to make "testdomain" a valid domain on the local
box for Apache to use it?

Thank you so very much for your help!

James Hurst
jhurst@designforge.com

Pritpal Dhaliwal wrote:

> do this
> http://localhost:80/
>
> if something (good, as in a webpage) comes up then you have something running
>
> so  disable whatver is running on port 80,  and then try to restart.
>
> you could also try
>
> netstat -an to see if there is something LISTENING on port 80.
>
> if that doesn't work, try to change the apache port to 8080.
>
> if that still doesn't work, download resin from www.caucho.com and try to run it.  It
runs on port 80 by default, and it will run as a service also, plus u can use jsp. But this
is an overkill.