httpd-users mailing list archives

From James Hurst <jhu...@designforge.com>
Subject Error msg: "no listening sockets available, shutting down"
Date Fri, 16 Aug 2002 16:56:22 GMT
I downloaded the 2.0.40 Win32 binary and installed it on my Win2K box,
for testing. When I try to run it from a console window (DOS box), it
yields:

"no listening sockets available, shutting down"

Nothing in the error log.  What can cause this??

When I installed Apache I used these settings:

DomainName = testdomain.com
ServerName = www.testdomain.com
ServerPort = 80
ServerRoot = C:/Apache

The httpd.conf file has simply...

ServerRoot "C:/Apache"
ServerName www.testdomain.com:80
ServerAdmin admin@designforge.com
UseCanonicalName off
DocumentRoot "C:/Apache/htdocs"
ErrorLog logs/error.log

Yes, I am a newbie.
During the installation and after, I'm logged onto Windows as a user
with administrator privileges. I did go into Windows "Services"
control panel, where I saw an entry for Apache2 that is set to start
automatically. I stopped the service, and tried to run "apache" again
from the console window. Same result.
I don't see that IIS or PWS are running.

Any ideas?   Your help is greatly appreciated, thanx.

James Hurst, jhurst@designforge.com