httpd-users mailing list archives

From Janice Eely <jke...@nsa.gov>
Subject Reverse proxy - Remote server using SSL
Date Thu, 15 Aug 2002 21:00:30 GMT
Has anyone successfully gotten Apache 2.0.39 to work as a reverse proxy
when back end server is using SSL.

I ask because I've been trying for 3 days now.  On solaris 8, Apache
2.0.39, compiled with --enable-proxy --enable-so --enable-ssl.  Openssl
0.9.6e compiled beforehand.

In httpd.conf the following works if I have encryption turned off on the
back-end server.

ProxyRequests On
ProxyPass / http://remote.server.name
ProxyPassReverse / http://remote.server.name

If I turn the encryption on  on the back-end server (Netscape 4.1), then
it doesn't work.  In error log, we get child pid xxxx exit signal
Segmentation fault (11)
Additional lines in httpd.conf are as follows:

SSLProxyEngine On
SSLProxyMachineCertificateFile /usr/local/apache2/.../.../ca-chain.crt
SSLProxyCACertificateFile /usr/local/apache2/.../.../ca-bundle.crt
SSLProxyVerify On
SSLProxyVerifyDepth 2

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,