httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: mod_vhost_alias and wildcards
Date Sun, 11 Aug 2002 17:44:05 GMT
Werner Schalk wrote:
> Hello,
>
> is there a way to use /home/*/webs
> as DocumentRoots for dynamicially
> configured vhosts? I mean mod_vhost_alias
> works great but it would be marvellous
> to give local users the chance to create
> their vhosts themselves. Currently I use
> /var/webs for my vhosts but it really be
> great to give every single user the chance
> to create a vhost themselves. Is there a
> way?

If you use wildcard DNS or otherwise map all the domain names properly,
then of course mod_vhost_alias can use them.  Have you read the
documentation?
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_vhost_alias.html

For example, if you have DNS mappings for user1.example.com,
user2.example.com, etc, then use:
VirtualDocumentRoot /home/%1/web/

Joshua.