httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Michael Warwick" <mwarw...@stwgtn.co.nz>
Subject RE: How to make pictures viewable with helper app?
Date Tue, 06 Aug 2002 20:26:26 GMT
You could change the mime type by directory using AddType in the
.htaccess file or use a script/program to fake the header. I know of a
script for php that sends a file for download (I think it puts a mime
type of application/unknown in the header)

Michael

-----Original Message-----
From: Nelson, Robert D. [mailto:RDNelson@Mail.Donaldson.com]
Sent: Wednesday, 7 August 2002 6:35 a.m.
To: 'users@httpd.apache.org'
Subject: RE: How to make pictures viewable with helper app?

Gustav:

The open/save dialog boxes are a function of the browser.  The browser
decides what to do with files based on their mime type.  By default (on
every browser I've seen, less lynx of course) the browser will handle
that
mime type by displaying it.

I've seen it work to change the mime type on the server for those file
extensions to something that you know will not be handled by standard
browsers.  I think this will only work for Netscape clients as IE does
not
seem to care a whole lot what mime type information is sent by the
server.
The main problem with this is that all ".jpg" files will then be
unavailable
to be shown on web pages served.  Also, I'm sure that misrepresenting
the
type of file must have some sort of bad repercussions.

 ~ Robert