httpd-users mailing list archives

From "David Tonhofer, m-plify S.A." <d.tonho...@m-plify.com>
Subject Re: Wget
Date Mon, 26 Aug 2002 13:28:10 GMT
De-lurking for once...

--On Monday, August 26, 2002 9:01 AM -0400 Rodent of Unusual Size
<Ken.Coar@Golux.Com> wrote:

> * On 2002-08-26 at 08:49,
>   Boyle Owen <Owen.Boyle@swx.com> excited the electrons to say:
>>
>> On a question of principle, how can you steal that which is freely
>> available? If you publish something on the public internet you
>> cannot accuse anyone of "stealing" it.
>
> Rubbish.  If someone go to the public library, take out a book or
> magazine, make a copy, and publish it as yours, surely you're not
> going to claim that isn't stealing.  There is NO difference if
> the material is published on my site on the Internet -- save that
> theft is easier.

That is called 'copyright infringement'. You CAN'T stop anyone from
pulling a copy of your mag or website. But you CAN stop people from
re-publishing it as theirs. There are laws for this. There are lawyers
that just WANT to be paid for pursuing cases. Trying to find parries
at the technical level is NOT a solution.

Best regards,

	-- David Tonhofer