httpd-users mailing list archives

From Bruno Wolff III <br...@wolff.to>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] data base
Date Fri, 30 Aug 2002 12:57:32 GMT
On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 20:47:26 -0600,
  Grant Cooper <grant.cooper@nucleus.com> wrote:
> Is there some type of data base that can query and bring up results to a web
> page depending on a users option. Like list by price or title. I know I used
> oracle in university. I am using freeBSD (Unix). Something that's free or
> that doesn't need a license for personal use.

Postgresql (http://www.postgresql.org/)
I use it for my web pages. It doesn't have a few things that Oracle does
that may limit its use for big sites (namely a free version with replication,
point in time recovery, resource limits).

SAP DB

Mysql
Note that mysql is not an ACID compliant database (though there is an
optional feature to provide transactions). Its main advantage is that
a lot of freeware is designed to use it, so you may have less work to do
getting your other software to work with Mysql than with either Postgresql
or SAP DB.