httpd-users mailing list archives

From Daren Cotter <daren_cot...@yahoo.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Sendmail starting with user apache???
Date Wed, 28 Aug 2002 23:19:06 GMT
For years, my linux box has been sending thousands of
emails (NON SPAM) per day. All of a sudden, it stopped
today. I am finding errors in the maillog about "could
not create file, permission denied".

After further investigation, I found that sendmail is
now starting as user "apache", instead of root.
Therefore, the mailqueue is not able to store
messages. I manually chmodded the queue directory to
777 (obvious security breach) for a temporary
solution. I MADE NO MODIFICATIONS to the sendmail
config!

I tried stopping sendmail, starting it, and even
restarting the server...sendmail keeps running as
apache. To make matters worse, I use "queueonly" as
delivery method, and process the mail queue every
minute...however, it is not being processed every
minute, due to this problem (I have to manually run
the command from root to process it).

Question: How do I make sendmail run as root again?

Question: How did this happen? Did I get hacked? I am
using a 1.x version of Apache.

Question: What do I need to do in order to upgrade
Apache to the 2.4 version? (I use PHP on the server
also, does that need to upgraded, since I read that
modules are not compatible between the two versions).

TIA