httpd-users mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: Wget
Date Mon, 26 Aug 2002 13:01:35 GMT
* On 2002-08-26 at 08:49,
  Boyle Owen <Owen.Boyle@swx.com> excited the electrons to say:

> On a question of principle, how can you steal that which is freely
> available? If you publish something on the public internet you
> cannot accuse anyone of "stealing" it.

Rubbish.  If someone go to the public library, take out a book or
magazine, make a copy, and publish it as yours, surely you're not
going to claim that isn't stealing.  There is NO difference if
the material is published on my site on the Internet -- save that
theft is easier.

> I think your real concern is that you think you are the subject of a
> DoS attack from an automated client... First of all, are you sure?
> An innocent mirroring of your site or harvesting of a subset of
> pages can look like a concerted attack in the logs.

I don't think that 'harvesting' or 'mirroring' my content without
my consent is innocent.  It's theft, at least if it gets republished.
Which it was.

And no, it can't be stopped -- but I can at least make it more difficult.

> Bottom line is, chasing the user-agent is waste of time since it is
> too easy for the bad guys to fake and is too cruel on innocent
> users. If you seriously think you're being attacked you should find
> out who by and "Deny" their IP address range - even buy a bridge a
> put it between the internet and your FW and drop their packets at
> the IP layer.

I disagree, but I'm not going to argue.  That *is* a waste of time. :-)
--
#ken	P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"