httpd-users mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject RE: configuration question
Date Tue, 20 Aug 2002 19:27:58 GMT

Actually - the correct syntax is

	/path/to/apache/bin/apachectl start

:-). And you may want to verify if apache is actually up using wget/fetch
a few seconds later..

Dw

On Tue, 20 Aug 2002, Sean Correia wrote:

> Why not put:
> '/path/to/apache/bin/apachectl &'
>
> in /etc/rc.d/rc.local?
>
> Cheers,
> Sean

you reboot it.  On RedHat 7.2 you can use chkconfig (in /sbin) to make sure it does but I
don't think apachectl is compatible with it out of the box.  Here's what you do:
> 1. edit apachectl to be compatible with chkconfig (man chkconfig will tell you how)
> 2. copy apachectl into /etc/init.d
> 3. maybe rename apachectl to httpd just to be slick
> 4. /sbin/chkconfig --level 2345 httpd on
> Good luck.
> Colin Teubner

I did your 'ps auxww | grep httpd' and low and behold... it works! I then made sure by doing
the netstat line and bang! that too worked. I am not quite sure that exactly the apachectl
file does, however I understand that it now is listening to port 80.
>     I then checked my page from a workstation and hit ctrl F5 (my workstations are running
windows) to do more than your standard reftesh and I got the apache webserver page instead
of the "connection refused" page that i was getting. I am still not sure why the apache page
is coming up and not my REAL webpage. Because I know that the the index.html file is in /var/www/html
which is defined as DocumentRoot in the httpd.config file. But oh well this is a big step!
Thanks a lot, you've been such a big help!