httpd-users mailing list archives

From Phil Edwards <...@devphil.com>
Subject Apache 2.x, .gz/.bz2 file, Bug 2820, oh boy
Date Sun, 18 Aug 2002 19:05:34 GMT
I've been learning Apache 2 from scratch, having never set it up before.
So far everything has been working wonderfully.

It's serving some gzip'd and bzip2'd files, and I'm told Mozilla and
other browsers can uncompress/display these on the fly.  Apache 2.0.39
came with a "mod_deflate" file, but from what I've read that seems to be
something unrelated.  (I could easily be wrong.)

Looking through the bugzilla database at nagoya.apache.org, I found bug
2820, which ended about five months ago with, "this can be done now."  I
think it's talking about the same thing I am, but I haven't the foggiest
idea how to do it.

Searching the archives of this list turned up a few mentions of "mod_gzip"
but the Apache 2 manual doesn't mention that.  Is it an Apache 1 thing?

The problem seems to be that Apache needs to tell the browser, "hey,
this isn't text/html or text/plain that I'm sending to you, do the right
thing," and right now I haven't done that.  At least, Mozilla thinks that
the .gz/.bz2 files are text.

I have a strong suspicion that millions of Apache users all over the
world have successfully done this, and I'm missing something obvious.
:-)  Can somebody point me to where I can learn more?

Phil

                                                 - Edsger Dijkstra, 1930-2002