httpd-users mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject Re: AuthAuthoritative and Apache 2.0
Date Fri, 16 Aug 2002 09:09:40 GMT

On Fri, 16 Aug 2002, Werner Schalk wrote:

> does somebody have an example for using AuthAuthoritative? I mean I just
> don't get the sense of it in Apache 2 because module loading is done
> completely different? What could I use it for?

Configure, say, SQL or LDAP, authentification. Now suppose one thay the
LDAP server is down. The of course no one can log in anymore. Not even the
administrator who may want to reach a managemetn and monitoring page to
fix this issue.

So if you'd configure SQL/LDAP -and- htpasswd file based authentification
you want to have some way where you prioritize them; i.e. say:

	Try SQL
		password OK	allow in
		password FAILED	reject
		unknown/error	goto next
.next	Try .htpassword
		password OK	allow in
		password FAILED	reject
		unknown/error	show error

I.e. try one method but punt on the authoritative method.

Dw