httpd-users mailing list archives

From Zac Stevens <...@cryptocracy.com>
Subject Re: Vhost naming and IE6.0
Date Mon, 12 Aug 2002 11:02:07 GMT
On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 11:33:50AM +0100, DL Neil wrote:
> This 'Favorites' behavior seems to override/precede Name Resolution!? So the
> interesting thing is that if you name a Favorites folder "Microsoft.com" you
> cannot use their own web browser to access their own home page!!!???

IE does seem to take a lot of different approaches to dealing with input in
the Address box - to be honest, I'd never seen the Favourites search but I
have certainly had "interesting" results when entering unqualified names.

I would imagine that this behaviour applies only when the input is neither
a well-formed URL nor a qualified hostname.  The rational in this case
would be that a single word is unlikely to be a legitimate address so it's
acceptable to take liberties during resolution in the name of
user-friendliness.

> You are correct, this is a list for Apache (I am using Apache as my dev web
> server BTW) but I was hoping that someone who appreciates that web work
> involves understanding both ends of the c-s transaction (and is more
> knowledgeable than I) could point out the (weird) rationale.

Sorry, I just didn't really know where you were coming from with the query
- I guess I accepted such quirks as given a long time ago :)

Zac