httpd-users mailing list archives

From Carrie Salazar <sala...@nature.berkeley.edu>
Subject Re: apache 2.0.39 under NT large pdf file failure
Date Thu, 08 Aug 2002 16:24:47 GMT
hi Alex,
i did a google search on the problem and all i could come up
with was a conversation in comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix
(not .windows i know) that mentions a similar problem.  the
url is humongous so the gist of the talk was:
"the problem is that the combination of IE 5.5 (W2k) and the
Acrobat 4.0 IE plugin causes PDF display problems when keepalive is
turned on: pages often turn out blank. Since keepalive is generally
good, we only wanted to turn it off for PDFs" and "The reason for
this behaviour is chunked encoding bound to persistent connections.
>From this point of view disabling KeepAlive is a workaround some
way".  the "solution" was to add "SetEnvIf Request_URI "\.pdf$" nokeepalive"
in the apache.conf file.

does this make sense to anyone?

and sorry i didn't snip the rest of the digest in my previous post.
--
carrie s.