httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jurgen <apa...@squarehosting.com>
Subject Re: mod_rewrite prevents caching of browsers
Date Tue, 06 Aug 2002 10:06:40 GMT
Hi,

is there a way to suppress this header or is there generally a way to supress certain headers?

Thanks
Jurgen

On Tue, 6 Aug 2002 11:49:45 +0200
"Boyle Owen" <Owen.Boyle@swx.com> wrote:

> >From: Jurgen [mailto:apache@squarehosting.com]
> >
> >the difference between the caching and non-caching headers are
> >the following:
> >
> >non-caching headers:
> >Vary: Host
> >Transfer-Encoding: chunked
> >
> >caching headers:
> >ETag: "7c255-1a1b-3d4b39ab"
> >
> >Everything else is basically the same.
> >I kind of suspect now the 'Vary: Host' header to be the
> >reason. What do you think?
>
> This looks like it - the HTTP RFC (2068) describes the "Vary" header as a signal from
the server that the response was subject to server-sided content negotiation. It specifically
warns that this can have an effect on the browser's decision to cache the content.

> I guess the browser might think that since the request was content-negotiated on the
server (i.e. screwed around with :-), a subsequent request might produce different content
and so the browser should not cache it since the response may "vary"...

> I suppose that this is a consequence of the rewrite rule, although I never knew that
using mod_rewrite caused apache to send a Vary header - it doesn't say anything about it on
the mod_rewrite docs...