httpd-users mailing list archives

From Alex Moon <a.m...@mdx.ac.uk>
Subject Re: apache 2.0.39 under NT large pdf file failure
Date Thu, 08 Aug 2002 09:14:23 GMT
Carrie
I don't think this is abn acrobat problem.  The PDF file iam using
were put up on the server prior to upgrading to 2.0.39 when i had
1.3.19  they downloaded fine.  Also the same file on an alternative
webserver download fine.  It seems to behave worse when the user
is using IE  rather than netscape and the old netscape 4.7 seems
to work but not 6 onwards.

So as you can see i think our problem is not down to acrobat.
Alex

On 7 Aug 02, at 11:42, Carrie Salazar wrote:

> I have exactly the same problem on my Window 2000/Apache 2.0.39
> machine.  I find that if I try to retrieve some (not all, somewhat
> related to size) PDFs that I get a blank page.  I downloaded a
> newer version of Acrobat I no longer get crashes just the long
> download and/or blank page.
>
> I am beginning to believe it is a bug on Acrobat for PC because
> when I view under the Mac they all load fine.  You can try it
> out:  http://ecology.cnr.berkeley.edu/blodgett/compartments.html
> --
> carrie s.
>

> > Most likely not apache.
> >
> > Retrieve the files off of the server and try to open them locally in a =
> > browser. I have found that pdf's created with newer versions of Acrobat =
> > and opened with older versions sometimes do this. Also test this on =
> > multiple machines if you haven't done so already to make sure the =
> > problem is consistent.
> >
> > This happens to me quite a bit, and have written it off as Acrobat =
> > weirdness.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Sean

would have to
be compiled into the apache server if it isn't.
> > Then in httpd.conf you have something like this:
> > <VirtualHost *:80>
> > User northpole
> > Group northpole
> > </VirtualHost>
> >
> > The result is that everything under this virtual host will be executed under the
specified user
 id.