httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: Are Defunct/Zombie processes normal?
Date Mon, 12 Aug 2002 07:35:20 GMT
>From: Kyle [mailto:kyle@ptszone.com]

>I've been noticing that Apache is getting a couple defunct/Zombie
>processes every few minutes.  The server is using EAPI, MM, mod_php,
>mod_ssl, and a few other small patches.  Versions are as follows
>Apache/1.3.26, PHP/4.2.2, mod_ssl/2.8.10, OpenSSL/0.9.6e.  The server
>gets about 5 hits a second, and is only causing about a 3.5%
>load on the
>CPU.
>
>Is this normal?  I can provide more information if this isn't normal.

Not normal. Apache daemons are supposed to vanish after serving MaxRequestsPerChild requests...
Do you have something funny set for this directive (default is 0 - which, paradoxically, means
"never expire")?

What OS are you running on and how did you install apache (RPM, source compile, pkgadd...)?

Rgds,

Owen Boyle