httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Apache Basic Authorization and Java
Date Thu, 29 Aug 2002 10:18:04 GMT
To see why this is happening, you need to understand how authentication works. To access the
protected directory, all requests need to provide the Authorization header containing the
username and password. This holds whether the request is from a browser or a java client.
(see http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-httpd-users&m=103044845517207&w=2)

Presumably your java client is making a request from the server - so it has to authenticate
itself. You are lucky that the VM class which handles the socket recognises the 401 response
and prompts you - I would have expected just an exception...

To allow the java client to authenticate itself without prompting, you could build-in the
Authorization header in the jave client (you need to add the line below to the request header):

Authorization: BASIC <base64-encoded user/pass here>

Rgds,

Owen Boyle