httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: cannot spawn child process error for new installation of apache server
Date Thu, 22 Aug 2002 13:51:51 GMT
If your machine is not networked you probably don't have an ethernet card so you won't have
an IP address. So don't bother with a ServerName directtive and apache will just use the loopback
localhost IP address which is 127.0.0.1. Then you will be able to hit the server from a browser
on the same machine at http://127.0.0.1/.

If you got messages in the logs when you try to hit the server then it must be up - may be
you meant the pages didn't work? Do static html pages work?
The child process that apache can't spawn is the CGI program itself.. Check your path to perl
on the first line of the program is correct and check you have a ScriptAlias directive for
the CGI directory.

Rgds,

Owen Boyle