httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: configuration question
Date Tue, 20 Aug 2002 14:12:25 GMT
I am a bit confused by the terminology in your post: Do you mean that you have a DIRECTORY
called /var/www/html and that this is DocumentRoot? If so, then the FILE index.html in that
directory will be served when you do http://your-server/ where "your-server" is the fully-qualified
domain name of your webserver.

Do you have a ServerName directive which points to your FQDN? Do you have Listen directive
(you don't need one, the default is to listen to all interfaces)?

Note that to test a webserver, you telnet TO it on port 80, not OUT, as you state... (maybe
that's what you meant).

What actually happens in the browser? What is the message?
What do you see in the server access and error logs?

rgds,

Owen Boyle

-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Stephens [mailto:DanielBStephens@hotmail.com]
Sent: Dienstag, 20. August 2002 16:05
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: configuration question

    I am running Red Hat 7.2 and am having a bit of a problem running the machine as a web
server. I currently am running Apache 1.3.20-16. My problem is that I can't seem to get my
webpage to display.
-I have placed the page in the correct location (/var/www/) and named it html
-I have an index.html ready to go in my html file
-I have gone into setup -> system services and am sure that httpd is running.
-I am also hosting email out of this machine so I know my network configurations are correct

- I also know my firewall is allowing traffic on port 80.
-When I try to telnet out on port 80 I get no responce.
    Are the symptoms I describe normal or common? Are they problems often encountered and
easily fixed? I would unistall the rpm and reinstall a more current version, however when
I try to unistall the rpm (rpm -e apache) it tells me that it cannot because it woul "break
dependencies" (apacheconf. and webserver are are reasons that it sites I cannot remove it).
I also cannot update to apache 1.3.23-11.i386 because libdb-3.3.so is needed by the updated
version, and did not come with the rpm file.
    Thank you for your help, I am a mechanical engineering major interning at a engineering
firm who has been given the daunting job of setting up their web/email server. Any advice
that you could give would be very helpful,
   -Dan