httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: HTTPD vs Jakarta Tomcat
Date Tue, 20 Aug 2002 09:51:27 GMT
<opinion>
How I would do it would be to use apache as the primary server and proxy requests to the Tomcat
server when required. Tomcat then, would only be accessible via the apche server.

The reason for this is that apache is a much more stable and reliable environment than Tomcat
and so all non-dynamic content would be guaranteed to be available at all times. Apache is
also much faster than tomcat at serving static files. In addition, during development, you
could run several tomcats on different ports and switch in the production tomcat via apache.

</opinion>

Rgds,

Owen Boyle