httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: apache 2.0.39 under NT large pdf file failure
Date Thu, 08 Aug 2002 09:59:26 GMT
I have heard of problems like this before... I am not entirely certain what causes it but I
believe it is to do with the way IE handles PDF files. First of all, it fires up acrobat in
the browser then, as the file starts to come in, it tries to open it as soon as it has enough
data to display anything (rather like the way a browser will "unroll" a jpg image as it comes
in). Why this doesn't seem to work with apache 2, I've no idea but I could propose the following
experiments to try to understand the problem:

- If you hit the file on a 1.3 server, does the PDF start to display immediately (indicating
that display starts before download is complete) OR do you have to wait until download is
really complete before anything is displayed?

- On the 2.0 server: Instead of just clicking on the link to the PDF (which will automatically
fires up acrobat), right-click then "Save Target As..." and save the file to the Desktop.
Then start acrobat (i.e. separately from IE) and try to load the file - does it display correctly?

	If it doesn't, check the file properties (byte-size etc. - or even calculate a checksum)
- do they match what is on the server? Is there any evidence of corruption?

	If it does open cleanly, then it cannot be corruption during download.

- If you download with other browsers (Netscape, Opera) what happens?

If there is some problem about acrobat trying to read the file as it arrives, it can't be
doing this based on the extension (or it would do it with the 1.3 server as well). So it must
be doing so based on a header from the server.

Can you hit the 2.0 server and the 1.3 server from the command line so you can look at the
HTTP headers that precede the file? Look for any differences and particularly something like:

StartDisplayDuringDownload: Yes

If you found it, you can disable the header with the "Header" directive...

...It's a long shot, but it might just work.

Rgds,

Owen Boyle

PS If you happen to have the 2.0 server on the internet, send me the URL and I'll have a look
at the headers it sends..