httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: mod_rewrite prevents caching of browsers
Date Tue, 06 Aug 2002 09:49:45 GMT
>From: Jurgen [mailto:apache@squarehosting.com]
>
>the difference between the caching and non-caching headers are
>the following:
>
>non-caching headers:
>Vary: Host
>Transfer-Encoding: chunked
>
>caching headers:
>ETag: "7c255-1a1b-3d4b39ab"
>
>Everything else is basically the same.
>I kind of suspect now the 'Vary: Host' header to be the
>reason. What do you think?

This looks like it - the HTTP RFC (2068) describes the "Vary" header as a signal from the
server that the response was subject to server-sided content negotiation. It specifically
warns that this can have an effect on the browser's decision to cache the content.

I guess the browser might think that since the request was content-negotiated on the server
(i.e. screwed around with :-), a subsequent request might produce different content and so
the browser should not cache it since the response may "vary"...

I suppose that this is a consequence of the rewrite rule, although I never knew that using
mod_rewrite caused apache to send a Vary header - it doesn't say anything about it on the
mod_rewrite docs...

Rgds,

Owen Boyle